George Galloway Online
- Keeping the Flags Flying
- Dewsbury: Police refuse to ban EDL march
- Anatomy of a Tory U-turn
- Who feels 'entitled', posh boy? Cameron's welfare ...
- MPs call for ban on EDL march
- BRADFORD VOTERS ARE DIM, SAYS LABOUR MP
- Free the Olympics
- A World of Chaos - talk by Kevin Ovenden
- Why doctors are taking industrial action to defend...
- MPs act over Thomas Cook closure
- UK Uncut - The missing billions
- Palestinian hunger striker Mahmoud Al Sarsak nears...
- Bleeding us dry
- Bradford gets Respect
- COOK PUTS PROFIT OVER PEOPLE
- Tickets, Anybody Got Tickets?
- John Carlos - the whole nine yards
- A diamond job: the inhumanity of Workfare
- It's the taking part...
- ▼ June (19)
- ► 2011 (145)
Thursday, 14 June 2012
'Once more we see a company put profit before people. There has been no consultation, just P45s all round. It's disgraceful,' the MP said. He called on the company, 'even at this late stage', to get round the table with local MPs, politicians and unions to save the jobs.
'Like any other company Cook has suffered through this shameful government's austerity programme. The economy needs growth, not retraction like this,' he continued. He pointed out that Bradford West had suffered the highest year-on-year increase of any of the country's 650 constituencies - almost 30% - and that more than one-in-five families were in fuel poverty. 'We need urgent action from the government to save these jobs and to grow the economy rather than stifle it. I am challenging David Cameron and George Osborne, the real people ultimately responsible for this tragedy, to come here to face the people and tell them why their job losses - and all the others suffered in the last year - are helping build the economy.'